South Carolina lightning strike kills one person

South Carolina lightning strike

South Carolina lightning strike. A lightning strike near Georgetown County, South Carolina killed one person and injured as many as 11. According to fire crews, the lightning struck a tree at a well known sand bar near Lawshe Plantation. 

The remote location reportedly made it difficult for emergency services crews to respond. At least three victims were transported to a nearby hospital and as many as 12 were injured. The victim who died was reported to be a man in his forties, but he has not been identified.

 The National Weather Service earlier reported that at least four people were unresponsive.

WCSC quotes county emergency manager Sam Hodge as saying lighting struck near a sandbar and beach area. WPDE reports that Georgetown County Deputy Coroner Chase Ridgeway identified the person killed as 44-year-old Ryan Gamble of Andrews.

Hodge says emergency crews took three people to a hospital. News reports say as many as a dozen people were hurt altogether.

According to the reports, lightning struck a tree, and people standing nearby were shocked by the force.

Giraffe Killed by Lightning Strike

Victims of their anatomy. Two giraffes from a Florida wildlife park (USA) were killed a few weeks ago after lightning struck them. Their long neck turned into a fatal lightning rod under the storm.

Must Read:  Father takes son to Denver Pride Parade to teach him love lesson

” We are deeply saddened to share the passing of two of our giraffe due to a lightning strike,” said Tuesday the Lion Country Safari in a statement.

The bodies of the two giraffes, named Lily and Jioni, were taken for autopsy. The zoo, located near West Palm Beach, is waiting for the results of the tests to confirm the origin of their deaths.

We are deeply saddened to share the passing of two of our giraffe due to a lightning strike. Lily and Jioni were in the…

Posted by Lion Country Safari on Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Lily and Jioni were in the pasture in their habitat when a severe thunderstorm quickly developed 6 weeks ago. Recent pathology results confirm that the giraffe did pass as a result of the lightning and that the manner of their passing was instantaneous. The giraffe do have access to numerous shelters in the multi-acre habitat, if they choose to use them. The keepers and our whole team were understandably devastated by this sudden and tragic loss; out of respect for their mourning and the pending pathology results, we waited to share this,” the statement added.

Man killed by lightning strike while riding his motorcycle

An American biker was killed on Sunday after being struck by lightning while driving his motorcycle in northeastern Florida.

Must Read:  Harry Dunn: London asks for the return of the wife of a US diplomat

The 45-year-old man was traveling south on Interstate 95. On Sunday around 2 pm when lightning struck his helmet. Following the impact, the biker swerved and lost control of his vehicle. The biker, originally from Charlotte, North Carolina, died at the scene of the accident.

The Florida Highway Patrol has released the image of the damaged helmet on Twitter, to make motorists aware of the dangers of lightning.

“This is what remains of the helmet of a 45-year-old man who was struck by lightning as he drove his motorcycle south on I-95 in Volusia County this afternoon. Unfortunately, he did not survive the accident. “

According to the National Meteorological Service, an average of 49 people die each year from lightning in the United States, based on data collected over the last 30 years. Hundreds more are injured each year by lightning and some may suffer from neurological impairment for life. Only about 10% of those affected by lightning are killed, leaving 90% of people with disabilities of varying degrees.

Between 2008 and 17, Florida recorded the highest number of lightning-related deaths, the National Weather Service reported. In total, 47 people were killed by lightning in just under ten years.

Share
Paige Driessen

Paige is an Arizona native who loves the outdoor life. She writes about a wide range of topics for The Talking Democrat