American man suffers vision problems after overdosing on Viagra

viagra pills

An American man in his fifties has suffered some serious irreversible vision problems after ingesting too much Viagra.

The case of this man has been reported in JAMA Ophthalmology. By ingesting an entire bottle of 30 ml of liquid sildenafil citrate, the active ingredient in Viagra, an American in his fifties, suffered from very serious vision problems. “This dose of 750 mg is almost 10 times the recommended dose of 80 mg,” say the doctors.

The latter was diagnosed of having “night blindness”, that is to say an excessive difficulty to see when brightness decreases and extreme sensitivity to light. But most of all, he began to see a circular shape similar to a donut in the center of his field of vision.

If these symptoms have gradually disappeared, the strange form of donut has remained. After several examinations, it was found that the patient had a retinal rupture of both eyes, caused by the excessive dose of Viagra which dilated too quickly and too strongly their blood vessels. “We believe that this patient has developed a retinal photoreceptor toxicity (light sensitive sensory neurons found on the posterior layer of the retina, NDLR) due to high levels of PDE6 (a protein present in photoreceptors) after an overdose of sildenafil “.

Must Read:  Hormone therapy reduces belly fat in menopausal women

In their article, the doctors indicate that a similar case was reported at Oxford Hospital, in a man who had consumed 1,500 mg of sildenafil and who had a persistent central scotoma, that is, black or bright spots in his field of vision.

Last October, a Retinal Cases report also reported the case of a 31-year-old American who developed irreversible vision problems after consuming too much Viagra. Because he did not respect the doses indicated on the box, the young man will see red for life. Suffering from erectile dysfunction, this New Yorker had ordered Viagra on the Internet. But instead of using the pipette supplied with the vial, he decided to drink the liquid directly from the neck, far exceeding the recommended daily dose. Shortly after, a red filter appeared in front of his eyes as well as multicolored flashes and a loss of contrasts. The next day, the flashes had stopped but the red filter remained. After several examinations, doctors diagnosed persistent retinal toxicity.

These different cases demonstrate the importance of respecting the dosage of each drug and talking with a doctor whenever you want to increase the prescribed dose.

Read More: Viagra Turns 20

Eddy Shan

Eddie, a passionate video-game player focuses mostly on tech and science related new for The Talking Democrat