Self-medication can have serious consequences. An 39-year-old American woman suffered a heart attack after drinking a liter of soy sauce. Today, she suffers from serious irreversible brain damage.
Excess salt in question
When this woman arrived at the hospital, the doctors discovered that she had 200 grams of salt in her blood. That’s five times more than the lethal dose set by the health authorities! And for good reason, soy sauce is a particularly salty product. She had signs of schizophrenia and believed pertinently to have been poisoned by the government. However, she did not drink the liter of soy sauce out of greed, but to “cleanse” her colon. According to an article she found on the internet, soy sauce has the properties to clean out poison from the body.
But instead of “curing” herself, she began to feel palpitations, stomach cramps, and tingling in her arms and legs.
Severe dehydration and hyponatremia
Because of the excess sodium in the blood, her kidneys, heart, and brain have been severely dehydrated. The blood vessels, deprived of oxygen, have shrunk. This is called hyponatremia. At the hospital, the doctors injected her with water mixed with sugar. The goal was to dilute the salt in her blood. While her condition was rather reassuring for the following three days, the medical team found later that she was suffering from a neuropsychological disorder called
Specifically, some nerve cells no longer sent signals to the brain. Since then, she has been suffering from motor disorders, difficulties in expressing herself and swallowing. This is irreversible brain damage was caused by the sudden drop in sodium levels in his body.
Monitor your sodium intake
Although this is an exceptional case, it is important to note that excess salt is dangerous for one’s health. The World Health Organization (WHO) recommends consuming 5 grams a day. In particular, processed food, such as bread and prepared meals have a higher content of salt. Overconsumption of salt leads to cardiovascular diseases and hypertension.