In Louisiana, woman in her fifties has died after eating oysters. Hospitalized in intensive care 36 hours after her feast, she would have been the victim of a dangerous flesh-eating bacteria, of the genus Vibrio, whose proliferation seems favored by global warming.
A woman in her fifties visiting friends on the coast of Louisiana last September bought and ate a few oysters. According to a local television channel, she fell ill in 36 hours later and died 21 days later.
Because of the presence of red patches on her legs, then on the whole body, her relatives initially thought of an allergy, but shortness of breath and a real respiratory distress led her to the emergency room in less than 48 hours.
The doctors discovered that this otherwise healthy woman had been infected with a Vibrio bacteria, which is a dangerous “flesh-eating” bacteria. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), people can contract Vibrio-like bacteria by eating raw or undercooked seafood, or through an open wound in stagnant water.
According to her relatives, the 50-year-old has eaten 2 dozen oysters and has been in contact with stagnant water. She died on October 15, 2017, after 21 days of resuscitation.
The members of her family wish to make the population aware of the risks associated with this bacterium. Health authorities point out that consuming raw oysters that have not been handled raises risks. Only certain precautions can eliminate the danger: boil the food, wash your hands after touching them or avoid swimming in low salt water when you have wounds.
Among the twenty or so species that make up the Vibrio genus is the bacterium Vibrio aestuarianus. Present in oysters, it is as dangerous for human as well as for mollusc; it kills both. And that’s just the beginning!
For almost five years, this type of infection has been growing. This could be explained by global warming. The warmer waters attract the bacteria that find refuge in shellfish, seafood and fish.